As we move into autumn the rugby season starts in earnest. Maybe you’re new to the wonderful (muddy!) world of rugby, or maybe you’re a dab hand. It’s an incredibly rewarding sport for children to play for so many reasons. The core values of rugby: Teamwork, Respect, Enjoyment, Discipline and Sportsmanship are qualities that are important to encourage in children and these provide the ethos of the game.
Of course, there is one downside to rugby (and indeed any outside winter sport!) and that’s the cold, the mud and the early starts. Becoming a rugby mum or dad means no more lazy Sunday mornings at home. Instead, you will be standing on the touchlines, in the cold, supporting your kids whilst mainlining coffee – not always as much fun as it sounds!
Here are Ooh La Label’s top tips for rugby mums to make it a little easier.
- Warm clothes, warm shoes. Waterproof clothes, waterproof shoes. This cannot be emphasised enough. It gets cold. So cold. And wet. The kids don’t care – they’re having a lovely time running around and keeping warm. Parents watching, not so much! Gorgeous blogger Kat @ Doesmybumlook40 always manages to keep warm and look stylish when watching her sons play rugby, so it is possible, but perhaps not easy! Brands to try include Ilse Jacobsen, Aigle and UGG.
- Get to know the parents of other team members. Not only does a game pass more quickly when you have other people to chat to and bond with, but they are valuable contacts for lift shares for away matches, or when you have other family commitments or are unwell (or hungover!).
- Treat yourself to a good thermos flask and don’t forget it. Coffee will be your friend! You might even take soup in it, depending on match times.
- Plastic bags in your car and lots of them! They can be used for muddy kids to sit on and put their feet on once you’re in the car and on your way home. On a wet day you will not believe how muddy it is possible for a child to get! Kids will also want to change out of their boots (and sometimes their whole kit) so the plastic bags are invaluable for all discarded kit to go into.
- Label everything! A sports changing room can be chaos with clothes discarded with little care as discussing the match is far more important. Our stick-on name labels (link to website) are waterproof, mud proof, washing machine proof – whatever you can throw at them, they will stay stuck. Don’t just use them on kit, they’re also great for flasks, water bottles and bags.
And finally, enjoy watching your child burning off all that wonderful energy!